This page collects resources for Community Data Science Collective members.
If you're new to the collective, check out the Introduction to CDSC Resources.
- Schedule — Deadlines, events, and similar
- CommunityData:Jargon — Jargon and Common Shorthand
- CommunityData:Planning document — Details on producing Matsuzaki-style planning documents
- CommunityData:Logos — Like our visual branding, not like λόγος. Although we should always make sure we're good in that department too. very clear pointers. Save yourself the trouble and learn to follow these today!
- Community Data Science Lab (UW) — Directions to the lab space at UW. This is something you can share with visitors.
- Community Data Science Lab (NU) Pandemic research plan — Pandemic research plan for CDSC NU created as part of Northwestern's response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- CommunityData:General examinations motivating questions — A set of questions borrowed and adapted from Jennifer Turns that are a useful ways to start preparing for general examinations.
- CommunityData:Email — Information on email lists, email aliases and their management.
- CommunityData:IRC — How to get set up on our chat system, IRC
- CommunityData:Jitsi — Some etiquette/usability tips for Jitsi, our preferred video conference tool.
- CommunityData:Blog — Writing/editing blogposts
- CommunityData:Blog post schedule — What's up next?
- CommunityData:Code — List of software projects maintained by the collective.
- CommunityData:Exporting from Python to R
- CommunityData:Git — Getting set up on the git server
- CommunityData:Taguette — Qualitative coding analysis software
- CommunityData:Tmux — Using tmux (terminal multiplexer) to keep a persistent session on a server.
- CommunityData:Zotero — How to use our shared Zotero directory.
- CommunityData:Etherpad — We use Etherpad for collaborative real-time note-taking and such. This page has some information about that as well details about how to make sure your pad is backedup.
Papers, Presentations, and Templates
Stuff related to getting setup and/or troubleshooting things related to LaTeX and papers:
- CommunityData:TeX — Installing our LaTeX templates
- CommunityData:Beamer — Installing/using Mako's Beamer templates
- CommunityData:Knitr — Using Knitr with Tex to build graphs, tables, insert and format numbers in tex documents.
- CommunityData:Embedding fonts in PDFs —
ggplot2creates PDFs with fonts that are not embedded which, in turn, causes the ACM to bounce our papers back. This page describes how to fix it.
- CommunityData:Build papers — Both the TeX and Beamer templates above come along with a Makefile that makes some assumptions about your workflow. Learn about that here.
A few of us use HTML-based presentation. Information on that is here:
- CommunityData:reveal.js — Using RMarkdown to create reveal.js HTML presentations
Computation, Severs, and HPC
- CommunityData:Compute Overview and Resource Matching -- What we have and what it's good for
- CommunityData:Hyak — Using the Hyak supercomputer system at UW for research (several pages are linked from the top of that page)
- CommunityData:Hyak_tutorial - Tutorial for new people to learn how to use Hyak.
- CommunityData:Kibo — Getting started with the Kibo system at NU for research.
- CommunityData:Northwestern VPN — Connecting to the Northwestern VPN
- CommunityData:Backups (nada) — Details on what is, and what isn't, backed up from nada.
Research and Data
- CommunityData:ORES - Using ORES with wikipedia data
- CommunityData:Wikia data — Documents information about how to get and validate wikia dumps.
- CommunityData:Message Walls -- Documents information about how to get and validate wikia dumps.
Future Meetings and Conferences
- CommunityData:Meetup April 2020
- CommunityData:UW Weekly Meeting
- CommunityData:Critique and Feedback Session
- CommunityData:Meetup September 2019
- CommunityData:Meetup March 2019
- CommunityData:Meetup September 2018
- CommunityData:Meetup April 2018
- CommunityData:Meetup April 2018: Organizational notes
- CommunityData:Meetup July 2017
University of Washington Resources
- CommunityData:Light events — The light in the lab at UW is funny. We have three fluorescent lights. On flipping the light switch, only two turn on. The third turns on eventually. We are studying this arcane phenomenon.
- CommunityData:GameIDs — A directory containing the game IDs for CDSC members to connect with each other across various gaming platforms.