Intro to Programming and Data Science (Spring 2020)/Day 4 Coding Challenges
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Python for Everybody
Chapter 7: Exercises 1, 2, 3
Using the baby names data from The day 3 challenges:
- Get the ratio of names that start with each letter.
- Do this for boys and girls.
- Hint First line of output should be something like:
a: boys: 0.1002914920750592 girls: 0.17587602795796703
- Are girls or boys more likely to have a name that is used by both genders?
- Figure out how to change the ssadata.py file so that it loads births from 2017 instead of 2018.
Above and beyond
- Figure out how to load two years of birth data simultaneously and compare them (e.g., identify the top 20 names from 2017 and figure out how many more/fewer people were named those names in 2018).
- Visualize some of the differences (probably in Excel)