Windows text editor
In order to start writing code, you'll benefit from installing a good text editor designed for that purpose.
On Windows, we suggest the Notepad++ text editor. Although it has a similar name, it is not related to the Windows default program called Notepad.
To install Notepad++:
- Click and download https://notepad-plus-plus.org/repository/6.x/6.8.3/npp.6.8.3.Installer.exe
- Run the installer, and follow the process to the end.
To run Notepad++:
- In Windows 10 and 8, click the Start menu, type Notepad++, and hit enter.
- In Windows Vista or Windows 7, click on the Start menu, type Notepad++ in the Search Field, and hit enter.
- In Windows XP, click on the Start menu, navigate to All Programs, and then navigate to Notepad++.
Configure Notepad++ to indent with spaces
- Click Settings -> Preferences
- Find the tab labeled "Tab Settings"
- Find the box labeled "Replace by space", and make sure it is checked
- Click Close.
That's it! Now, you can hit tab to indent your code, and that indentation will actually be made of spaces. This change will help you use spaces consistently, so that Python doesn't get confused about whitespace.
Now you have an editor that you can use to open any text file, including Python programs.