Statistics and Statistical Programming (Fall 2020)/w03 session plan
- Research Project Plan + Dataset Identification (due next Friday 10/9)
- If you're having trouble getting started, check out the many suggested resources in the Wiki
- Feel free to use OH / Discord to chat with the teaching team about these
- Managing R and RStudio
- Lost in space: workspaces, environments, working directories, projects, notebooks, scripts, and consoles oh my!
- Rmarkdown, code chunks, and knitting
- Code, functions, concepts
- Data import tips
- Writing "clean" and "elegant" code
- Vectorized functions (yes, these are confusing)
- Statistical Questions
- When are mean/sd appropriate? How to know?
- Interpreting summary stats of a transformed variable
- Session feedback!
10/1 session plan
- Checking in
- Working groups
- Solution sets
- Research project and dataset ideas
- Ch 3 exercises and questions
- 3.28: Birthdays!
- 3.34 The standard deviation of an expected value (what is it?)
- 3.38 Comparing observed vs. expected proportions (rationale, basis, implications)
- Preamble to next Tuesday:
- Problem set involves more and more "real" work
- Emotional contagion on Facebook paper