Practice of scholarship (Spring 2019)/week 4 session plan
Becker and the uses/misuses of prior work
- Becker book chapter discussion
- What fears motivate being terrorized by The Literature? How reasonable/salient are they for you?
- What are (in)effective uses of prior literature according to Becker?
- Explain the extended table metaphor.
- How can prior literature deform an argument?
- Becker talks about incommensurability towards the end of the chapter. What is it? Why does it matter?
- Becker marijuana paper discussion
- Where and how does Becker situate this study in relation to prior work?
- What shortcomings of this paper does Becker identify/regret in the book chapter?
- Shaw & Hargittai paper discussion
- How would you characterize the genre (along the lines of Zuckerman's collection) of this paper?
- What are the key prior areas of work that this paper deals with?
- How does the paper use prior work to motivate/justify its own approach?
- How convincing do you find the use of prior work to be here?
- How to relate these examples/ideas to your own work?
Mid-quarter evaluation discussion
- Aaron will summarize the feedback/findings and we will discuss briefly
Peer feedback discussion
- Two tropes of prior work feedback
- Prior studies leading the narrative
- Lack of focus/precision
- Discuss in pairs/threes!
Prep for week 5
- Return to original peer pairings from week 2