Community Data Science Workshops (Core)/Review Wk1 Wk2
This afternoon session will review materials from Week 1 and Week 2. If we have time, we'll even do some data visualization as well!
For this session, we'll go back to babynames.
Review with a babyname example
We want to demonstrate how what we've learned in this workshop come together:
- Ask a question (e.g. How did the popularity of the name "Sam" change between 2007 and 2016? By gender?)
- Find a dataset.(e.g. Open Data)
- Use API/Python to get the data/find an answer for my question.
- Read the API documentation
- Run the simplest code (perhaps an example code from the website) to understand how API works
- Think about how to request the data you need (e.g. How do I just get a list of names that contain "Sam"?)
- Try your code! Errors are ok!
- (Visualize; if we have time)
Week 1 Review: Babynames
Let's work on Baby Names!