Community Data Science Workshops (Core)/Planning Checklist
- (Done SP2016) Create new Google drive folder and invite people that work on it
- (Done SP2016) Copy registration pages from both participants and mentors
- Read through and tweak details and dates
- (Done SP2016) Create a basic page like Community Data Science Workshops (Spring 2016) based on the pre-release version in the history from the most recent workshops linked from Community Data Science Workshops.
- (Done SP2016) Search/replace year and season
- (Done SP2016) Search/replace the month and day
- (Done SP2016) Update registration links to the new Google Forms
- (Done SP2016) Add link to page to the new subpage from the Community Data Science Workshops page
- (Done SP2016) Create redirect like CDSW Spring 2016 to point to the new page
- (Done SP2016) Update Template:Banner to a live version
- (Done SP2016) Create/copy a new announcements document in the shared Google Drive folder
- Send announcements
- Write blog posts on CDSC blog
- (Done SP2016) Tweet, send on social media, etc.
Funding and Rooms
- (Done SP2016) Contact someone at eScience to help cover funding for food
- (Done SP2016) Mako has contacted Bill Howe in the past
- (Done SP2016) Contact somebody at the Department of Communication to cover drinks
- (Done SP2016) Mako has contacted David Domke in the Department of Communication
- (Done SP2016) Decide on for morning lectures (e.g., the Ooedgard ALC or SAV)
- (Done SP2016) Contact someone at Odegaard/UW libraries about the Active Learning Classrooms (that link includes both a schedule online and a page to request the room). Our contacts in the libraries are Jennifer S. Muilenburg <firstname.lastname@example.org> (data management librarian) and Susie Cummings <email@example.com> (who helps manage the ALC)
- (Done SP2016) Decide on and find rooms for afternoon sessions (e.g., UW Research Commons or the Communications (CMU) Building or something else
- For registering things in CMU managed by the Department of Communication, use the links on the right sidebar of this page
- For registering classrooms managed centrally, go through the UW Classroom Assignment Office
- For registering the research commons, we should go through the Research Commons Librarian and/or through Jennifer (email above)
- Coffee at etc at HUB: place an order the day before if possible. Need a couple people to carry 3 coffee (2 blonde; 2 medium), 40 cups, 1 large cup of half and half, other misc stuff. Need napkins as it always gets messy.
- Session 1: Pizza from Jet City Pizza (*PHONE NUMBER (206) 525-2225? verify with mako/jmo*) for X vegetarian pizza, Y vegan pizza, Z, gluten free pizza, A vegan/gluten free pizza. A little bit of salad. Always ask for plates and napkins (otherwise they may not bring them).
- 4 -> next time 2 Large Gluten Free cheese
- 1 Large Gluten Free Pineapple
- 3 -> next time 1 Large Gluten Free (Sauce & Non Dairy Cheese)
- 1 Large Gluten Free (onions, mushrooms, black olives & non dairy Cheese (no sauce))
- 2 -> next time 1 Large sauce & nondairy cheese
- 10 Large Cheese pizzas
- 5 Large spicy peppers
- 2 -> next time 3 large Green Pepper/ Onions
- 2 -> next time 3 Large Pineapple/ Oranges
- 2 Large Pineapple
- 1 Large Onions/ Tomatoes
- 1 -> next time 2 Large Mushroom/Spinach
- 2 Large Black Olives/ Mushroom
- 7 -> next time 4 Family Size Salads (Dressing on side): bring a big bowl next time so that it's less messy when serving.
- Session 2: Indian food from Jewel of India at (*PHONE NUMBER (206) 523-5275? verify with mako) for 4 vegetarian dishes, naan, and rice at $12/person for 67 people ($800) -> ordered 75 people in Spring 2016 and it was just enough - 80 should be perfect? Ask for plates, utensils, napkins, utensils, and serving spoons!
- Session 3: Greek food from Maria Savranakis(email at firstname.lastname@example.org):
- vegetarian food for 65 people. $11 per person for vegetarian food, delivery, taxes, paper
plates, napkins and plastic ware.
- - Spanakopita
- - Veggie dolmathes
- - Hummus and pita
- - Greek salad
- - Vegetarian Souvlaki- skewers of marinated vegetables.
- - Rice
- - Oven baked potatoes in olive oil, garlic and oregano avaliable
Session 0 & 1 Preparation
- (Done SP2016) Create new mailing lists (requires UW ID) at UW like email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
- Add people who are accepted to the email@example.com mailing list
- Add people who are accepted to the firstname.lastname@example.org mailing list
- Email attendees individually to tell them they were accepted, and have them check the mailing list to make sure they are gettingupdates
- Create new wikipages for the new data
- Check the CodeAcademy lessons to make sure they are up
- Check the documentation for installation to make sure things work
- Try out Anaconda installation
- Email all the mentors to see if there's anybody they would like to have brought in off the waitlist
- Draft/update acceptance email
- Draft/update waitlist email
- Send accept email! :-)
- Send waitlist email :-(
Session 2 Preparation
*Send attendee reminder announcement out with survey
- Prepare feedback survey
- Update the wiki - are tutorials up to snuff?
- Check supporting resources are still working as expected (e.g. signing up for Twitter API; Tweepy; PlaceKitten;)
- Verify workshop leaders and instigators for afternoon workshops