CommunityData:Workshop and Soft Block
Workshops and Softblocks
|Fall 2023 quarter workshops are on Fridays at 2:00pm ET / 1:00pm CT / 11:00am PT. Please circulate/share your work by the end of the day (in your local time) of the Wednesday preceding your slot.|
The CDSC workshop provides a weekly venue to present/share work about once per quarter. The softblock provides a time for coworking sessions, meetups with other labs and researchers, and ad-hoc meetings.
Like in the critique and feedback session, you are welcome to workshop a wide range of things: planning documents, draft papers, manuscripts with reviews, grant applications, job market materials, practice talks, brainstorming potential projects, etc.
Everyone is expected to attend the workshop sessions. Everyone is also expected participate by attending and presenting/sharing work each quarter. Sign up below!
As we iteratively build out this schedule, don't forget to check the holiday schedule for each campus. Veteran's Day is observed at UW but not (as of 2023) at NWU or Purdue. Also, quarterly breaks can diverge.
- September 29 -
- October 6 - sohw: meta team - reporting back from retreat + task group assignments (let sohw if u want this block tho)
- October 13 - floor: survey study
- October 20 - Prospective PhD student open house! Please join!
- October 27 - kaylea seagl keynote practice (aka industry-oriented job talk)
- November 3 - dyuti: planning document on a study on narrative transportation and posting behavior
- November 10 -
- November 17 - molly: some sort of final project draft
- December 1 - internal organizing: updating the wiki + examples git repository
- June 20 [note this is a Tuesday due to Juneteenth holiday!] - Sohyeon/META - task group review + new allocations!
- June 26 - Skip!
- July 3 - STC (The Dispossessed)
- July 10 - Community Dialogues and Future Public Scholarship (Molly)
- July 17 - STC (Trust in Numbers)
- July 24 -
- July 31 - STC (Foundations of Social Theory - selections)
- August 7 - mandi on anti vax / pro vax "data discourses" on Reddit
- August 14 - STC - TBD?
- August 21 -
- August 28 - STC (Behind the Screen)
- September 4
- April 3 - meta discussion about chores
- April 10 - Sohyeon
- April 17 - Yibin (probably) Ecology Project Proposal
- April 24 - Zarine
- May 1 - Jaelle Fuchs (visiting student from U Zurich)
- May 8 - Kevin - Project Proposalooza
- May 15 - Lab date with C² Lab (Computational Communication; UC Davis)
- May 22 - Charlie: Turnover Case Studies Project
- May 29 - cancelled (memorial day)
- June 5 - Kaylea (TBD) + floor's codebook
- June 12 -
- January 23 - Carl: Two qualification exam research proposals!
- January 30 - floor: diss prospectus
- (alt time slot!) February 2 - Kevin Driscoll's Modem World + Aaron book review draft
- February 6 - Visit with Felix Reda
- February 13 - Yibin: Incidental discussion and polarized political expression on Reddit
- February 20- Xinya(Cindy) Gong, proposal review and get some feedbacks.
- February 27 - CDSC Purdue: Using ChatGPT to talk to trolls
- March 6 - Ellie Ross: Core and Peripheral Structure in Online Communities
- March 13 - floor: syllabus for class next quarter
- March 20 - sohyeon: idk, something though :)
- March 27 - Omnibus (tentative)
- September 16 - Retreat planning
- September 23 -
- September 30 - Carl: De-federation paper updates.
- October 6 - Regina: job market material draft (second 30 mins)
- October 13 -
- October 20 - Prospective Student Panel
- October 27 - Nate's measurement error paper
- November 3 - Molly dB
- November 10 - CDSC Membership (coming out of retreat unconference; floor, regina, salt, et al.) + Emilia practice talk
- November 17 - Botstacking CHI paper + reviewer comments (Sohyeon, Charlie, Aaron) + CDSC Membership
- November 24 - Pie baking (savory or sweet, all good)
- December 1 - Coworking time to write blogs!! (floor added this)
- December 8 - kaylea / divya
- December 15 - The CDSC End of Year Mandatory Fun Online Party
- June 21 -
- June 28 -
- July 5 - Kaylea: probably CSCW paper something something
- July 12
- July 19 - Carl: whatever needs the most feedback at this point. :)
- July 26 - Aaron: cross-sector collaborations in King County
- August 2 - Molly: tbd
- August 9 -
- August 16 -
- August 23 - Floor: diss plans
- August 30 - Kaylea: book review of The Conversational Firm
- Sept 6 -
- Sept 13 -
- Sept 19 -
- June 17 - CAT Lab meetup
- June 20 -
- June 27 - Review of 2021-2022 academic year (what went well, what could have been better)
- July 4 - No meeting
- July 11 - Blog sprint
- July 18 -
- July 25 -
- August 1 -
- August 8 - Isabelle Catherine Langrock
- August 15 -
- August 22 -
- August 29 -
- Sept 5 -
- Sept 12 -
- Sept 18 -
Mar 29 April 5 - Nate and Richard: Preliminary draft of specialization and mutualism project. April 12
- April 19 - Regina and Sejal: CHI Practice Talks (Nothing circulated in advance)
- April 26 - Sohyeon: discord bot study, initial memos
- May 3 (CHI week)
- May 10
- May 17 - ICA practice talks (Presenters: Kaylea - will be late, proposal defense is the same day, ???)
- May 24 - ICA practice talks (Presenters: ????)
- May 31 (ICA week)
- June 7 -
Regina: Draft of Data Science Community paper
- June 14 - Katharina: Feedback for CSCW Doctoral Consortium submission draft
April 1 April 8 April 15
- April 22 - GroupLens meetup
- April 29 - Dialogue invitation list sprint
- May 6 - Carl: wikia data descriptor paper draft
- May 13 -
CAT Lab mixerFloor (library project idea)
- May 20 - Community dialogue happening today!
- May 27 -
- June 3 - GroupLens meetup (take 2) participant bios here
- June 10 -
We had a lot of interest in workshops this quarter, so we used the soft block time for them as well.
- Jan 10 - Nate: Notes on a methodological paper on the effects of measurement error in machine learning models on research.
Jan 17 - No Meeting (MLK Jr Day) Jan 24
- Jan 31 - Jeremy: Draft of revisions for "A systems approach to studying online organizations"
- Feb 7 - St3f: Defense proposal draft.
Feb 14 - Sohyeon: WIKIPI extended abstract submission planning document
- Feb 21 - Carl: Moderation and Content Policies on the Fediverse (journal article draft).
- Feb 28 - Molly: modifiability (including concepts like right to repair) and consent in medical devices (thesis)
- Mar 7 - Zarine: Ideological capture/disinformation in small language Wikis project
- Mar 14 - Charlie: TBD (Dissertation Proposal 1 pagers)
- Jan 28 - Regina: Feedback for CSCW revision
- Feb 4 - Floor: Fellowship app
- Feb 11 - CDSC Dialogues
- Feb 25 - Yichen Shen (NU sociology student visiting)!
- Mar 4 - NU SoC grad student showcase
- Mar 11 - Regina (Workshop!): Dissertation Proposal draft
- Oct 1 - Floor: Online labor SLR
- Oct 8 - Nate: No Community Can Do Everything (revisions for CSCW)
- Oct 15 - Sohyeon: Information loss project (to be WWW2022 submission)
- Oct 22 - St3f: Coraland Citizen Science App for Families (R&R for CSCW)
- Oct 29 - Nick V: The Theory of Critical Mass and Data Leverage
- Nov 5 - Charlie: CSCW "Why These Rules?" submission / feedback on reviews and paper
- Nov 12 - Sneha: Proposal for an NSF (or other) proposal on community governance
- Nov 19 - Carl
Nov 26- Thanksgiving week / no meeting
- Dec 3 - Regina: Three dissertation ideas
- Dec 10 - Kaylea: Reviews & Revision Planning for the Qualities of Quality systematic lit review paper