CommunityData:Workshop and Soft Block
|Summer 2022 quarter workshops are on Tuesdays at 11:30am CDT/9:30am PDT. Please circulate/share your work by the end of the day (in your local time) of the Friday preceding your slot.|
The CDSC workshop provides a weekly venue to present/share work about once per quarter. This would be similar to C&F, but spread over the quarter; in Fall 2021, we first tried this out in place of a C+F block.
Like in the critique and feedback session, you are welcome to workshop a wide range of things: planning documents, draft papers, manuscripts with reviews, grant applications, job market materials, practice talks, brainstorming potential projects, etc.
Everyone is expected to attend the workshop sessions. Everyone is also expected to sign up to present/share work each quarter. Sign up below!
- [date] - [name]: [general topic item]
- June 21 -
- June 28 -
- July 5 - Kaylea: probably CSCW paper something something
- July 12 - Carl: whatever needs the most feedback at this point. :)
- July 19 -
- July 26 - Aaron: cross-sector collaborations in King County
- August 2 - Molly: tbd
- August 9 - Sohyeon: Discord bot study - manuscript draft
- August 16 - Floor: something :)
- August 23 -
- August 30 -
- Sept 6 -
- Sept 13 -
- Sept 19 -
|Summy 2022 quarter soft blocks are on Mondays at 12:00 ET / 11:00 CT / 10:00 MT / 09:00 PT. Please circulate/share your work by the end of the day (in your local time) of the Thursday preceding your slot.|
The soft block is an hour on the calendar that almost everybody can make that but we leave "open" to use for a variety of things. This might be a meeting with another research group, a reading group, or an overflow workshops. It can be anything!
If you are using it as an overflow workshop, please try to send your material 2+ business days in advance as you would for the workshop.
Sign up below!
- [date] - [name]: [general topic item]
- June 17 - CAT Lab meetup
- June 20 -
- June 27 - Review of 2021-2022 academic year (what went well, what could have been better)
- July 4 - No meeting
- July 11 -
- July 18 -
- July 25 - Sohyeon: new project 3-pager (lmk if you need this slot, I am flexible)
- August 1 -
- August 8 - Isabelle Catherine Langrock
- August 15 -
- August 22 -
- August 29 -
- Sept 5 -
- Sept 12 -
- Sept 18 -
Mar 29 April 5 - Nate and Richard: Preliminary draft of specialization and mutualism project. April 12
- April 19 - Regina and Sejal: CHI Practice Talks (Nothing circulated in advance)
- April 26 - Sohyeon: discord bot study, initial memos
- May 3 (CHI week)
- May 10
- May 17 - ICA practice talks (Presenters: Kaylea - will be late, proposal defense is the same day, ???)
- May 24 - ICA practice talks (Presenters: ????)
- May 31 (ICA week)
- June 7 -
Regina: Draft of Data Science Community paper
- June 14 - Katharina: Feedback for CSCW Doctoral Consortium submission draft
April 1 April 8 April 15
- April 22 - GroupLens meetup
- April 29 - Dialogue invitation list sprint
- May 6 - Carl: wikia data descriptor paper draft
- May 13 -
CAT Lab mixerFloor (library project idea)
- May 20 - Community dialogue happening today!
- May 27 -
- June 3 - GroupLens meetup (take 2) participant bios here
- June 10 -
We had a lot of interest in workshops this quarter, so we used the soft block time for them as well.
- Jan 10 - Nate: Notes on a methodological paper on the effects of measurement error in machine learning models on research.
Jan 17 - No Meeting (MLK Jr Day) Jan 24
- Jan 31 - Jeremy: Draft of revisions for "A systems approach to studying online organizations"
- Feb 7 - St3f: Defense proposal draft.
Feb 14 - Sohyeon: WIKIPI extended abstract submission planning document
- Feb 21 - Carl: Moderation and Content Policies on the Fediverse (journal article draft).
- Feb 28 - Molly: modifiability (including concepts like right to repair) and consent in medical devices (thesis)
- Mar 7 - Zarine: Ideological capture/disinformation in small language Wikis project
- Mar 14 - Charlie: TBD (Dissertation Proposal 1 pagers)
- Jan 28 - Regina: Feedback for CSCW revision
- Feb 4 - Floor: Fellowship app
- Feb 11 - CDSC Dialogues
- Feb 25 - Yichen Shen (NU sociology student visiting)!
- Mar 4 - NU SoC grad student showcase
- Mar 11 - Regina (Workshop!): Dissertation Proposal draft
- Oct 1 - Floor: Online labor SLR
- Oct 8 - Nate: No Community Can Do Everything (revisions for CSCW)
- Oct 15 - Sohyeon: Information loss project (to be WWW2022 submission)
- Oct 22 - St3f: Coraland Citizen Science App for Families (R&R for CSCW)
- Oct 29 - Nick V: The Theory of Critical Mass and Data Leverage
- Nov 5 - Charlie: CSCW "Why These Rules?" submission / feedback on reviews and paper
- Nov 12 - Sneha: Proposal for an NSF (or other) proposal on community governance
- Nov 19 - Carl
Nov 26- Thanksgiving week / no meeting
- Dec 3 - Regina: Three dissertation ideas
- Dec 10 - Kaylea: Reviews & Revision Planning for the Qualities of Quality systematic lit review paper