Communication and Social Networks (Fall 2021)/Final project
Based on your work in this class, you will craft a pitch to help an organization make sense of their own social networks and craft a portfolio of your work with data drawing on the previous labs and readings to support your pitch.
- Select a potential employer, and research them to identify the pressing organizational issues facing them as a company.
- Write a document for a potential employer that
- Introduces you and states your professional objectives. (1 paragraph)
- Makes the case for the most important problems facing this organization or industry based on your research. Be sure to cite any literature that you use. (1 paragraph)
- Explains how a network approach and your expertise in particular can help address the sorts of problems facing their organization and industry
- Include at least three distinctive insights (e.g., my expertise in network analysis can help you identify opinion leaders in this organization).
- Include example visualizations of each insight from your own work (or create new visualizations).
- Include ideas from and references to the class readings to make your case.
- Closes with a request for a meeting to learn more about their organization.
- Compile and submit your document on Brightspace
While I want everyone to write and turn in their own document, I encourage you to help each other with the visualization portions and to ask questions on the group Slack channel. I expect that the final document will be ~5 pages long (maybe longer if you want to showcase a lot of visualizations)
You should write this in an R Markdown file, and then export it to a Word document.
Sample Business Data
If you would like, you can use data from a real organization. There are some great options of network data files already in igraph format at https://github.com/schochastics/networkdata.
This project is similar to a final project that Josh Barbour assigns to his class. View examples of their projects on Brightspace.