Difference between revisions of "Seattle open data"
(new evergreen page for seattle open data stuff)
Revision as of 16:58, 20 January 2020
In this project, we will explore a few ways to gather data from data.seattle.gov. Once we've done that, we will extend this to code to create our own datasets of civic data that will allow us to ask and answer questions about the Emerald City!
- Learn how to gather datasets from data.seattle.gov with the Socrata API and the Open Data Portal
- Identify interesting datasets and research questions that can be asked and answered with those datasets
- Practice reading and extending other people's code
- Create a few collections of different types of data from data.seattle.gov that you can do research with in the final section
If you are confused by these steps, go back and refresh your memory with the Day 0 setup and tutorial.
Download the Seattle open data project
- Click the following link and save the file to your Desktop directory: TODOLINK
- Unzip FIXME.zip file
Test the Seattle open data project
- Test an API call to data.seattle.gov
Open the Jupyter notebook FOO
Run the first X cells in the notebook in order
The output of cell FIXME should be
- Test downloading a CSV file and opening it in a notebook
Open FIXMELINK in your browser
CLICK on DOWNLOADBUTTON FIXME
SAVE FIXME.csv to the FIXME directory with your notebooks
OPEN the Juypyter notebook FOO
Run the first X cells of the notebook in order
The output of the cell FIXME should be