CommunityData:CDSC Meetup March 2019
We're meeting in Seattle on March 28-30!
Plan and Preparation
Another group meetup/retreat is upon us! Our tentative plan is to get dinner together on Thursday, meet for an all day critique and feedback session on Friday (followed by some evening fun), and then wrap up with a more open-ended co-working session on Saturday. As usual, the plans may evolve.
Please add your name below if you think that you'll be attending any of the meetup's events! Also, if you'll be traveling and/or have food requirements, please fill out your information in the Accommodations section.
Critique and Feedback Sessions
For the critique and feedback sessions we're expecting everybody who wants to participate to submit (a) something in writing (e.g., a paper, a Matsuzaki outline, an extended abstract) and (b) a list of questions or types of feedback you want. Please only submit something you want feedback on!
If you want to participate, you need to email something to email@example.com by the end of day on Friday, March 22. Not everybody needs to participate but anybody who does participate should only submit one thing.
We're expecting that everyone attending will have read all the material submitted and will bring notes to the meeting. When we meet, everyone who has submitted something will get at least half an hour (more if possible).
When we meet, the rule will be no presentations and no formal introductions. The plan to just jump in and start answering the questions and talking about thing we've all already read.
In order to help with scheduling, please add your name below if you think you're likely/maybe going to circulate something for the critique and feedback session.
- Abel Serrano Juste - High level of toxicity in online communities as a risk factor for community death.
- Jeremy - Current version of ABM paper / dissertation chapter X
- [This schedule is currently just a proposal and the specific times will likely shift.]
Everyone attending should plan to be around and available from Friday, March 29 8:30am (ideally, Thursday evening/afternoon too) through Saturday, March 30 3:00pm (including Friday evening).
There is an optional (but extremely fun!) get-together on Thursday, March 28 6:30pm that will involve dinner.
Thursday, March 28
- Afternoon: Evanstonians (and elsewheres) arrive in Seattle
- 6:30pm: Meet for Dinner @ TBD
Friday, March 29
- 8:30am: Arrive + Breakfast (bagels or similar) @ Community Data Science Lab (CMU306)
- 9am-12pm: Critique and Feedback Session 1 (Shared note taking Etherpad)
- 12-1:30pm: Lunch from TBD
- 1:30-4pm: Critique and feedback session 2
- Evening group outing + dinner starting at 6:30pm (TBD)
Saturday, March 30
- 9am-12pm: Co-working session
- 12-1pm: Order-in lunch from TBD @ Community Data Science Lab
- 1-3pm: Co-working session
Who's Hosting Who?
|Example Guest||Example Host|
Description of hosting options here
Example Person: Can host two people, one on futon, one on a comfy couch. Both in my living room.
|Aaron||Allergy to sesame, most nuts (almonds and peanuts are fine).|
|Kaylea||don't eat fish (sushi and shellfish ok); don't eat eggs (chocolate cake ok)|
|Abel||Flexitarian. Prefer vegetarian meal if there's available.|
Ideas of fun things to do
- puzzle/escape rooms (including DIY ones we could do in the lab)
- Seattle underground tour
- Portal, a virtual reality bar, arcade, and lounge
- catered lunch at the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks in Ballard where might even be able to see spawning salmon
- a trip to the Seattle Aquarium
- a ride on a Washington State ferry
Where to eat
If you are traveling in from outside, add your name and arrival details here (days, times and flights if you have them):
- 🛬 March 28 - Arriving 2:27pm (AA 1213 ORD→SEA)
- 🛫 March 31 - Departing 6:00pm (AS 26 SEA→ORD)
- Status: Purchased
- Abel Serrano
- 🛬 March 26 - Arriving 18:45pm (FLIGHT MADRID (SPAIN)→SEATTLE)
- 🛬 March 31 / April 1 - Arriving ??:??pm (FLIGHT SEATTLE→CHICAGO)
- 🛫 April 3 - Departing 15:50pm (FLIGHT CHICAGO→MADRID (SPAIN))
- Status: Purchased international flight. National flight waiting for confirmation from @Aaron.
- Notes re: housing etc.: Booked hotel in Seattle from 26 to April 1, but can be cancelled very easily. I haven't got any housing for Chicago yet.